In 1986, I graduated from the University of Denver Law School. In addition to my Juris Doctorate (law degree), I earned a Masters Degree in International Studies, with a focus on Latin American studies. In 2008, after years of practical courtroom and classroom experience in criminal law, I was recognized by the American Bar Association-United Nations Development Program (ABA-UNDP) International Legal Resource Center as an expert in criminal justice. In 2010, I began working as a consultant and criminal justice trainer with the American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA-ROLI). Since that time I have participated as a faculty trainer at criminal trial workshops in Ecuador, Panama, Mexico, and Guatemala. In 2014, I was also selected as an instructor for a criminal trial skills course entitled, “Academia de Destrezas en Litigación” (Academy of Trial Skills), at California Western School of Law, in San Diego, California–part of their ACCESO Capacitación program.
I have provided criminal trial practice instruction in Spanish at the following training events:
- Instructor for Criminal Trial Skills Course entitled, “Academia de Destrezas en Litigación” (Academy of Trial Skills), California Western School of Law, ACCESO Capacitación, San Diego, California, February 2014.
- Facilitator for ABA-ROLI Workshop entitled, “Curso Investigaciones En El Sistema Penal Acusatorio Panameño,” Coclé, Panamá, March 2012.
- Facilitator for ABA-ROLI Workshop entitled, “Programa en Guatemala para el Fortalecimiento de la Persecución Penal, Curso—Taller de Capacitación: Refrescamiento de Técnicas de Litigación Oral,” Guatemala City, Guatemala, January 2012.
- Facilitator for USAID/ABA-ROLI Workshop entitled, “Litigación Oral Penal,” as part of “Programa en México de Apoyo para las Facultades de Derecho, Colegios de Abogados e Intercambios Judiciales,” Mexico City, Mexico, May 2011.
- Facilitator for ABA-ROLI “Técnicas de Juicio Oral Penal” (Inter-institutional Course on Oral Trial Techniques in the Penal Justice System), Coclé, Panamá, September 2010.
- Facilitator for ABA-ROLI “Técnicas de Juicio Oral Penal” (Inter-institutional Course on Oral Trial Techniques in the Penal Justice System), Quito, Ecuador, February 2010.
During the summer of 2014, I will be working under contract with ABA-ROLI to write a bench book (in Spanish) on the use of forensic evidence in court for use by judges and attorneys in El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras. The book will be distributed to prosecutors and judges, and will include practical skills for the presentation and review of forensic evidence such as DNA analysis, fingerprint analysis, ballistics analysis, forensic chemistry, hair and fiber analysis, toxicology, pathology, and other technologies.
As one of Iowa’s top rated criminal defense attorneys, I would be proud to put my skills and experience to work for you. Call me today for a free initial consultation.